How to choose a bowling ball by weight
Do you know who wins more often than others in bowling? The one who is stronger or the one who has more luck? In fact, neither one nor the other. The more successful in the game is the one who knows all its subtleties and secrets. And one of the important points is the competent choice of the ball. This takes into account the weight of the bowling balls. How to choose the appropriate attribute – you will learn from our article.
A bit of history
It is hard to imagine, but during the period of the Roman Empire, ordinary round stones were used in similar games. Then they were replaced by analogs made of bakout wood – one of the hardest types of wood.
For the first time in 1905, rubber was used in the production process. And only after that, almost every decade, raw materials and technologies changed. Hard rubbers, urethane and polyester were used.
Global changes took place in the 90s, when the core appeared. It was she who influenced the balancing. At first it was spherical, and later it was given various complex shapes: from a light bulb to an ellipse.
What materials are used for production
Before talking about the selection rules, let’s find out what balls are made of? Today they consist of at least two components: a core and a coating.
To create the surface, 3 materials are used:
- Polyester is one of the most affordable and affordable materials in the bowling industry. The disadvantage is that the projectiles slip out of the player’s hand too quickly. And this negatively affects the result of the throw.
- Urethane – in comparison with polyester, it is a more durable raw material, undemanding in terms of maintenance.
- Reactive urethane is a high cost and fragile material. But, on the other hand, it provides the most comfortable grip and control of the throw.
Ceramic materials, rubber with the addition of barium or bismuth are usually used for the production of the core.
The manufacturing process is usually divided into 5 stages:
- The creation of the core – begins with the formation of a casting mold, into which a special solution is poured. Then they wait for it to solidify completely.
- Processing of the core – we are talking about firing in a furnace and adding another mold with a solution of a different density – this creates the effect of “core in core”.
- Projectile formation – the prepared core is set in a specific position within the mold intended to create the coating. A pin peg is used to hold the position of the workpiece.
- Creating a surface – in the form described above, pour the solution and wait for it to solidify.
- Completion – the hole from the peg is closed with a plastic pin and the cover is leveled. They apply a logo, number, color and send for polishing.
Bowling, like any sport, has rules. Therefore, play attributes must meet the following sizing requirements indicated in the table.
|Diameter||21.6 – 21.8 cm|
|Weight||no more than 7.3 kg|
|Spacing from the axis of rotation to the center of gravity||6.2-7.1 cm|
How to choose the right ball by weight
7.3 kg is the maximum weight allowed for the game. Usually men play such shells, but the degree of physical fitness and body weight are also important. Ideally, the weight of a game attribute is 1/10 of the player’s weight.
In all centers, they are divided by numbers, which correspond to weight not in kg, but in pounds – from 4 to 16. For understanding, 1 pound is 464 g.
Remember that a larger ball is easier to control and will hit more pins. Therefore, it is better to choose an extremely heavy one for yourself. Lift it up with an outstretched hand and try to hold it for 5 seconds. Happened? So it suits you.